Friday, April 27, 2012

Kids on the Slope Episode 3 Review


Kids on the Slope continues to move at the beat of its own drum. Personally, I would prefer that it move at a slightly faster pace in terms of music (or maybe I just want to listen to more Yoko Kanno jazz), but the pacing it has now is by no means bad.

We get our first substantial conflict in this episode. A new challenger appears for Ritsuko when Yurika, the girl they met in episode 2, shows up and joins their band of misfits. So in terms of relationships, Kaoru likes Ritsuko, but he’s an idiotic teenager, so he’s using all the wrong moves. Ritsuko seems confused about who she likes, but is leaning toward Sentaro right now. Meanwhile, Sentaro is acting like arguably more of an idiot than Kaoru and has a crush on new girl Yurika. Yurika, however, is just along for the ride for now.

I’d like to see something out of these relationships by the end of the series. School Rumble entertains and BECK plays its own good music, but both of them fell flat in terms of relationship resolution (School Rumble moreso than BECK, I think). But we’ll see.

Again, the show is light on its music and focusing more on the characters and what’s going on in their lives. I think the gradual reveal of each character’s life is good the way they’re doing it, but I do enjoy their once-per-episode jam session. But overall, I continue to enjoy the show as a whole. I just wonder where it’s going with itself at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment