Thursday, May 10, 2012

Madoka Magica Volumes 1 and 2 Review


I watched Madoka Magica back when it was airing and I recall not being very impressed with it back then, but I was blasting through it in Japanese and there was a long hiatus due to earthquake. I don’t know why I was so underwhelmed with the series. I didn’t hate it outright, but I wasn’t spazzing over it like everyone else seemed to be.

For those of you who don’t know, Madoka Magica (full title is Puella Magi Madoka Magica) is as follows: After experiencing a bizarre dream, Madoka Kaname, a kind 14-year-old girl, encounters a magical creature named Kyubey. Madoka and her friend Sayaka Miki are offered the opportunity of gaining magical powers if they agree to make a contract with the strange little being. He will also grant them one wish, but in exchange they shall risk their lives by accepting the responsibility of fighting witches. Invisible to human eyes, witches are catalysts of despair in the areas they inhabit. An ally of Kyubey, a magical girl named Mami Tomoe, befriends and encourages the two girls to accept the contract. For an unknown reason, another magical girl named Homura Akemi is determined to prevent Madoka from accepting the deal.

At first glance, the series doesn’t seem like anything special. It’s just doing some of the same old anime things and the same old magical girl tropes. The opening sequence, for example, displays a very typical magical girl transformation from Madoka, the protagonist. But the show soon separates itself from the rest of the bunch in episode three.

But the first two episodes are a lot of world building and the character and architecture designers showing off their stuff. We get a view of their “world of tomorrow” world they’re in, which includes some high tech stuff, some tech that equals our own, and building designs right out of the future magazines us nerds like to drool over occasionally.

What really impressed me, and continues to impress me, is the character designs and the architecture designs in the series. Each of the dresses for the magical girls are extremely outlandish and (I’m probably citing the wrong era here, but whatever) very Victorian-era in the details. And each girl has their own color scheme (Mami-yellow, Homura-black/white, Kyoko-red, Sayaka-blue, Madoka-pink), which sets them apart from each other very well (they look kind of like this: http://tinyurl.com/7qwoulq). But it’s not just the character designs, which look stunning and set the characters apart from any other series I’ve seen. It’s the architecture. I’m not big on architecture, but I was stunned by the amount of detail and thought they must have put into the designs here. If we isolate it to just Madoka’s house, it is two stories with a glass décor and the inside isn’t half bad either with weaving polygons of structure and glasswork that makes you want to live there because of how cool it looks.

Where the designers are really showing their stuff is in the witches world. The one I’m thinking of in particular doesn’t appear until episode three (I believe), but it is more cartoon-y than any other creature I’ve seen prior to this series. And it brings out your deepest psychological fears about clowns that you didn’t even know you had (hyperbole, but go along with it). I was even more stunned about the visuals in these worlds than I was with the previous two episodes combined. They really are straight out of a child’s nightmares and the witches that the magical girls fight against are very much the same; scary, cartoonish, and often grotesque in ways I didn’t realize were grotesque.

The progression of the series itself is done at a brilliant pace and character developments are done before we even know they’re going on. Having not remembered the series very well, I found myself asking why certain characters were acting the way they were acting. But they get to the end of their sentence and reveal this huge character backstory that explains their initial hostility and the eventual resolve between the two characters.

The gradual reveal of both the world and of the character’s motives is very in pace with the show’s own antagonist. So if you’re watching the show and you find yourself unable to grasp what exactly is going on, it’s because they want it to be that way. Everything will reveal itself as it moves along in the story.

The acting in the series from the English dub actors is above par, which is interesting considering they used unknowns and relative unknowns to the voice acting community. Christine Marie Cabanos as Madoka Kaname is excellent, on par with what I remember from Aoi Yuki’s Japanese performance. And I can say with utmost certainty that Cassandra Lee eclipses Emri Kato’s performance of Kyubey in my mind. I think my favorite actor thus far has been Carrie Keranen as Mami Tomoe, but the entire vocal cast and dub script has been absolutely amazing. I’ve seen bad scripts and I’ve heard bad voice acting, but Madoka Magica contains neither of those. I am continuously stunned at how these adults can sound like junior high kids, yet still sound so mentally mature.

Thus far, the series has been absolutely amazing. I cannot for the life of me determine why I didn’t enjoy the series this much when I was watching it in Japanese. Maybe my subconscious was making me feel bad for pirating it and thus making me enjoy it less. Well, now I own the limited editions with the DVD, the blu-ray, and the soundtrack. So take that past me for pirating things.

If you are a fan of fantastical magical worlds, most definitely pick this show up. If you dislike magical girl shows, give the show three episodes and I almost guarantee that you will enjoy yourself. This show has every facet, to me: characters, plot, pacing, world building, character building, designs of both the worlds and the characters, and a brilliant dub cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment