Thursday, July 5, 2012

Spring 2012 Anime Review - Part 2


Recorder and Randsell

Plot Summary: The series is mainly about the Miyagawa siblings: Atsushi—an elementary student whose build and appearance is the same as a typical adult man; and Atsumi—his sister and a high school girl whose appearance is like an elementary student. They live everyday encountering misunderstandings and misadventures, most to be blamed to their ironic age/looks.

The series ran for 26 3-minute shorts. And I don’t think it could have worked any other way (unlike Poyopoyo, which I believe might have been able to work as 13 10-minute shorts or something). The show was fun and lighthearted, but didn’t really get farther than that. It’s the kind of show where you understand exactly what it’s doing in the first episode and you know that it’s not going to go out of that comfort zone. I don’t think this show is necessarily bad, it’s just not anything special or even anything that I would want to watch again.

The high point in the series isn’t Atsumi and it isn’t Atsushi. In fact, they’re fairly forgettable and cliché driven characters. What was pretty good here was Atsumi’s friend Sayo (voiced by Aya Hirano). Her child-like naivety when it came to Atsushi was actually pretty funny and captivating at times but her misunderstanding drug on for way too long. Overall, it was probably Aya Hirano herself that made the character interesting rather than Sayo as a character.

Basically, if you want 68 minutes of random crap happening to these characters with no real memorable moments, go ahead and watch it. I used it as an introduction into a marathon of anime that was to come (Thursdays were high release days or catch-up days) and that worked out really well for me. But I can’t say I’d want to marathon through the series myself…

Saki: Episode of Side A

Plot Summary: Nodoka Haramura’s appearance on television playing in a high school mahjong tournament inspires her old Jr. high school friends to reform their schools club so they can meet and play her in the National High School Mahjong Tournament.

Saki clearly has more to go (given that it ended in the middle of a match and ANN confirmed that it was given three more episodes) and I’m glad that it’s finally taking the time to go through something like the original Saki did. Up until this point, it’s been blasting through story after story just to get to this point faster and the show itself really suffered for it. Like, the first episode jumped forward several months and then three years just to get to high school. It was unbalancing as a viewer because I was missing all this information that could potentially be important (as it turns out, it wasn’t very important, but it could have been handled a lot better).

What it does do well, just like its predecessor, is show mahjong in enough detail that someone who has no idea about anything in mahjong can potentially follow it and not dwell on it so much that its bogged down by expository dialogue. But it’s also clearly a continuation of the original Saki story rather than a spin-off of it, like it claims to be. Fans of the original will be glad to see old characters pop up and love the new characters that are appearing, but those who haven’t watched the original may be turned off by the influx of information that it gives you just to recap what happened in the original.

I’m not sure when those last three episodes will air, but I am waiting with anticipation for them. The show didn’t look like much from the outside, but I picked up and finished the original Saki to understand everything (and I’m super glad I did) and it quickly jumped over shows like Lupin in my Sunday catch up days solely because of the excitement value of the show. It is by no means better than Lupin or tsuritama or even You and Me, but it provided with fun mahjong (that I could barely follow, if at all) week after week. It’s not something to pick up if you get lost easily, but it is fun for fans of sports anime.

tsuritama
Plot Summary: In Enoshima, Yuki is a high school student who’s never been good at making real friends thanks to his abnormally poor communication skills. Haru is the self-styled alien who decides to teach Yuki to fish. Natsuki is an irritable born-and-raised local. Akira is the mysterious Indian who watches them all from a distance. These four meet, fish, and find big adventures on their little island.

tsuritama did one thing better than every other series on this list: visuals. Kids on the Slope certainly had the best looking visuals, but the color palette is bland in comparison with tsuritama (as well it should be considering the content of both shows). Kids on the Slope impressed, but tsuritama stunned.

But aside from that, the show fell flat compared to its first episode. The first episode showed promise to be one of the best of the season, but the continuation of the alien sub-plot (much like Ano Natsu of last season) didn’t really fit in with the rest of the story, in my opinion. It was a lot better than the way Ano Natsu handled the alien sub-plot, but I was still turned off by it in the end.

The most interesting part was watching Yuki grow and watching Natsuki’s relationship with his family unravel and eventually reconcile. While I felt these stories played themselves out to my satisfaction, I felt they could have been included more into the actual plot of “catch the giant alien-fish that’s making people do that hilarious dance” main plot.

Overall, I felt it was a strong series with definite rewatch value. But it’s not something I’d pick up immediately after it comes out (like I would with Space Brothers or Bunny Drop). I’ll wait until Sentai finally releases a Funimation-like sale (which I haven’t seen yet, by the way).

Upotte!!

Plot Summary: For those of you out there that remember the OS-tan manga and anime mini-series, this is a bit along the same lines. In this case the characters are not representing computer operating systems, but firearms from around the world. The general storyline is quite funny, and a bit “ecchi” in nature but is well written and not overy silly.

The first victim of the spring 2012 anime season. It ended first but you probably aren’t reading this review first (if at all). Overall it was probably the biggest disappointment in terms of shows I watched this season. But I kind of expected it out of a show like this, where the premise is girls are guns. Literally.

I think the most disappointing part of this series was that it was very informative (often overly so) but it did not need the amount of fanservice it got. It’s like the Japanese got together and found the one show that could serve only for promoting the subsequent merchandise. It’s disappointing when it gets to that point, but it has for a while. I’m just sad to see it continuing down that road.

What I did like about this show was…was…There wasn’t really anything redeemable about this show. I kind of kept watching it because it wasn’t a complete waste of my time and the final episode almost (almost) made it all worth it. If the entire show was like the last episode, I would’ve enjoyed this show a lot more. But there’s this very creepy scene in one of the episodes where SAKO Rk 95 Tp is…yeah…Not that, but if you’ve seen the show…yeah…

I wouldn’t suggest anyone to watch this show unless you really want to learn about guns, you really don’t care about mindless fanservices, and you really want mindless fanservice. But I allow myself one stupid fanservice-y episode per season. I guess I should have gone with Mysterious Girlfriend X.

You and Me. 2

Plot Summary: (From season 1) About 4 friends, twins Yuta and Yuki Asaba, the cute and girly Shun Matsuoka, and the class head Kaname Tsukahara, who have known each other since kindergarden. When a half-Japanese transfer student named Chizuru Tachibana joins their group, he brings a new dynamic to their friendship.

I didn’t expect much out of You and Me because, honestly, the first season wasn’t all that impressive. There were a few episodes out of this season that were mediocre and are easily glanced over, but it quickly became the dark horse of this season, but easily outshined by Space Brothers, Kids on the Slope, and tsuritama.

Despite its downsides, You and Me has some of my favorite moments of the season and I think I can confidently say that some of the character interactions between Shun, Yuki, Yuta, Kaname, and Chizuru were more genuine and all around better than some of the interactions between Kaoru, Ritsuko, and Sentaro in Kids on the Slope. I loved the love triangle between Shun, Chizuru, and Masaki was funny, touching, and simply fun all at the same time. And even Kaname’s little love stint in episode 12 was one of the most loveable moments of this season, in my opinion.

You and Me’s only downside, I think, is that it isn’t really about anything. It’s just about these five friends going through high school. And while I do love stories like that, it’s a big reason why a lot of people are turned off from slice of life. And this isn’t even the best slice of life show I’ve seen, and certainly not the best of this season. Even Honey and Clover and Usagi Drop had more in the way of plot compared to You and Me. But seeing the growth of these characters over now 25 episodes was a fun experience, but not one I’m sure I’d like to see again, or at least any time soon. It was fun while it lasted, and I’d definitely watch a new season if it were to come out, but the show leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of ways. It’s one of those shows were you don’t look forward to it every week, but you’re also pleasantly surprised by its arrival every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment