Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Summer 2012 Anime Review - Part 5 Hakuoki Reimeiroku


Hakuoki Reimeiroku

Plot Summary: The beginning of Hakuouki Series. Foretells the story Ryunosuke Ibuki, a boy who is a son of a samurai, yet hates a samurai. He was pick up by Roshigumi (later Shinsengumi) other leader Kamo Serizawa, when he was robbed and left to die on his way to the Capital (Kyoto). After being rescued, he was forced to become Serizawa's dog, and slowly, the mystery of "Water of Life" is starting to unfold.

I had no idea this was part of a franchise. It probably isn’t any better than its predecessors, but I suppose that’s an unfair assumption to make. Anyway, this was an overall mediocre affair that I thought had promise because it was placed in 1850s Japan, and I love me some period pieces.

There were far too many characters for 12 episodes (though since a lot of them are historical caricatures and the others are part of the franchise, it now makes sense), so you don’t get any clear focus on any of them beyond Ryunosuke. Otherwise, they were tropes of the characteristics of themselves.

What kept me through was the only slightly interesting furies aspect (though it was quickly thrown on the backburner for, I suspect, the more franchise relevant Serizawa plot) and so I could see Hajime Saito be amazing (he’s amazing by the way). Don’t watch it unless you like the Hakuoki franchise, and I can’t say I would want to check that out based on this series alone.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment